moving the november ad congress out of baguio and moving it to subic instead is a very wise move.
we think it will benefit baguio and its residents as it will allow them to totally focus on rebuilding their city. having the thousands of ad people in baguio at this time will only divide their attention and efforts, plus the ad congress will add strain and pressure on an already weakened infrastructure.
it would also be much better for congress participants as they will no longer have to worry about what they do during the congress. just driving to baguio for the congress will be extremely difficult on its own, staying in the city in the way that baguio is will be no different.
we wish baguio well and we look forward to subic.
21st Ad Congress moved to Subic
Philippine Daily Inquirer
First Posted 05:44:00 10/17/2009
MANILA, Philippines — The trail of destruction across northern Luzon left by Tropical Storms “Ondoy” (international codename: Ketsana) and “Pepeng” (Parma) has forced the Advertising Board of the Philippines (AdBoard) to hold the 21st Philippine Advertising Congress (PAC) closer to Metro Manila instead of Baguio as originally planned.
“It is with reluctance that we withdraw from Baguio, as the city has been most supportive and generous to the 21st PAC from the planning stages right until this moment when preparations are near completion,” the PAC said on its website.
Instead, the ad congress scheduled on Nov. 18-21 will take place in Subic.
“We have never doubted Baguio’s resilience nor its readiness to accommodate the 21st PAC in spite of the disaster. But the further strain thousands of delegates and participants would subject the already weakened northern Luzon infrastructure would put their safety and that of the local people’s at risk,” the PAC said.
Despite the short notice and various requirements, Subic authorities have readily agreed to host the 21st PAC.
Dedicated to victims
The sufferings of the victims of Ondoy and Pepeng are not lost on the advertising industry.
“The 21st PAC is the best time for the industry to come together and reflect on ways to be of service to the typhoons’ victims and to respond to the call of nation rebuilding. Our economy must not come to a standstill. We must help drive the local economy back on its feet,” the PAC said.
“We dedicate the 21st PAC to the victims of the northern Luzon calamity. Part of our proceeds will be donated to the Red Cross for rehabilitation efforts in northern Luzon. This ad congress has heart and a cause. We enjoin all members of the industry to be an active part of this endeavor,” it added.
we think its wise to move the ad congress elsewhere. baguio itself has things to rebuild and the roads to baguo are much more difficult to pass through. services and accomodations in baguio may also be affected. it won’t be a fun and smooth ad congress if it is held in baguio.
Baguio to rebuild, with or without ad congress
By Vincent Cabreza, Desiree Caluza
Philippine Daily Inquirer
First Posted 19:53:00 10/15/2009
BAGUIO CITY, Philippines—Hotel managers on Thursday started planning for this city’s recovery from the onslaught of Tropical Cyclone “Pepeng” (international codename: Parma) without the anticipated big contribution of this year’s Philippine Advertising Congress.
Officials of the Baguio Convention and Visitors Bureau, composed of local hotel managers, received “unofficial notification” from organizers of the ad congress that Baguio would no longer be hosting the biennial event scheduled to start on November 18, said Councilor Perlita Chan-Rondez, chair of the council committee on tourism.
The congress will instead be held at the Subic Bay Freeport because Pepeng damaged all the roads to Baguio, bureau officials said.
Hosting the ad congress would have brought to Baguio top businessmen and companies that rely on the advertising industry, the city tourism office said.
But a representative from the ad congress media relations office said no decision has yet been made about moving the event from Baguio.
In a telephone interview on Thursday, Betty Olarte, the event’s media relations officer, said they were surprised by information posted on the social networking site Facebook and other websites about the supposed shift in venue.
“So we posted our replies on Facebook and we sent out official statements to all newspapers [to indicate] we have not yet decided,” Olarte said.
In a news conference on Thursday, Mayor Reinaldo Bautista Jr. dismissed reports that Baguio had lost the ad congress, “which we bid for and which we won fair and square.”
The city last hosted the ad congress in 2003.
“I would be the first to know if that happens,” Bautista said.
But he said organizers of the ad congress were divided about how it should stage the event in light of the damage wrought by the successive storms that hit Metro Manila and northern Luzon from late September to early October.
He said the Advertising Board wanted to scale down the event because holding an extravagant program weeks after the calamities “may be perceived as insensitive.”
Quoting a report from the Advertising Board, Bautista said the group also had to address the economic impact of Tropical Storm “Ondoy” on its members, who are mostly based in Metro Manila.
Many sponsors pulled out of the ad congress as a result of budget cuts undertaken to cope with typhoon-related damage and business losses, he said.
A delegation of city tourism and local government officials is scheduled to meet with officials of the Advertising Board next week to convince them not to pull the congress out of Baguio.
“We can offer them discounts.… Now is the time when staging the ad congress here would help Baguio the most…. We can appeal to their nobility by helping Baguio out,” Rondez said during the Baguio Convention and Visitors Bureau meeting.
But Anthony de Leon, general manager of the Baguio Country Club, said hotels preferred to concentrate on rebuilding the local economy.
the 21st philippine ad congress is fast approaching, it is that time of the year when many a great startegizing session go on in ad agency conference rooms to tag, categorize and submit entries for the ad competition.
for people who work in the ad agencies, it’s also that time of the year to get to the good graces of your boss to make sure you are included in the list of official delegates to the congress. very few agencies give the honor to all of its employess, most give it only to a selected few. mahal kasi, walang budget.
not that ad people want to go to the ad congress to learn, its to party, get drunk and amass all those freebies they distribute during the ad congress. ooops, did i just spill the beans?
here are the ads for the 21st philippine ad congress, view them here. we will also be posting more information on the congress in this blog, click here: http://the-wawam-file.blogspot.com/search/label/21st%20philippine%20advertising%20congress
you might even get lucky and find that ad you worked on in that blog.
view the tv ads for the 21st Philippine Advertising Congress here: http://the-wawam-file.blogspot.com/search/label/21st%20philippine%20advertising%20congress
first here is “The Magician” – we think it’s a WAWAM!
read more posts here: 21st (2009) philippine ad congress – tv ads like magic http://wawam.wordpress.com/2009/08/27/21st-2009-philippine-ad-congress-tv-ads-like-magic/
2009 (21st) philippine advertising congress to be moved out of baquio? (http://wp.me/paTrm-125)
is the ad you just finished and released a WAWAM!? – What A Waste Of Advertising Money! read this blog: http://the-wawam-file.blogspot.com/
read more about the philippine ad congress here: http://tinyurl.com/of4lwx
open invitation to join WAWAM! after hours
- Apple reduces price of refurbished iPad 4 and iPad mini ahead of refresh flip.it/gUi8s >> wawam around 2 hours ago
- @_StareAndGrin17 on tawa-tawa, cure for dengue. I swear by it. read here "2 dengue victims and 1 cure - tawa-tawa". wawam.wordpress.com/2012/09/16/my-… >> wawam around 1 day ago
- 94% of pro-RH bets winning | ABS flip.it/xTnqM >> wawam around 1 day ago
- Chris 'Birdman' Anderson's Energy Covering Up Miami Heat's Only Weakness flip.it/ns7zs >> wawam around 1 day ago
- Heat: Get used to 'physical' style flip.it/q6DbT >> wawam around 1 day ago
- @ceso lol. that was so far from my thoughts. >> wawam around 1 day ago
- RT @bworldph: PHL Q1 GDP seems to be on track as domestic demand is high-- Socioeconomic Planning Secretary Arsenio Balisacan | via @miyada… >> wawam around 1 day ago
- Americans so love parades. and the one of the best parades are those done in Disneyland. you don't get tired watching it. >> wawam around 1 day ago
- was so great to see so many young girls wearing their favorite princess costumes in Disneyland. so apt, very happy. >> wawam around 1 day ago
- Disneyland - the happiest place in the world. <- that is so very true. also, very expensive. but happiness is so worth it. >> wawam around 1 day ago
1 million hits and going...
- 1,177,464 hits
wawam.wordpress shown on national tv – ABS-CBN’s TV Patrol World
- petron blaze import player ronaldo balkman grabs the neck of teammate arwind santos
- senator pia cayetano on new UAAP rule on residency : “unconstitutional; unjust and cruel to athletes”
- philippine stock market reaches past historic 6,800 all time high, so far record broken 23 times in 2013
- new UAAP rule on residency is unjust, unfair and harms high school athletes
- Willie Revillame rants on live tv (again!) – against Ate Guy and Ethel Booba
The Top 10 Most Viewed Posts Today
- angelica panganiban's sexy body exposed or truth in advertising via photoshop (pictures here)
- UP's UPCAT 2012 results released ahead of schedule (get results here)
- father of delamar's (rx93.1 jock) baby is Tyler Ashby?
- looking for a manny pacquiao-krista ranillo sex video scandal? krista's video here
- the hayden kho and katrina halili sex video scandal
- rx 93.1 The Morning Rush with chico & delamar - delamar is 9 weeks pregnant
- globe telecom's loyalty and rewards program that creates disloyalty
- videos on manny pacquiao and krista ranillo scandal
- when you think of hooters, what's the first thing that comes to your mind? did hooters manila deliver?
- baby treated like a toy, shaken violently for amusement. this is child abuse! save this baby!
comments & reactions
Most Recent Readers Comments
top rated posts & comments
Top Clicks By Readers
- 2010 Philippine Presidential Election
- Amiel Alcantara
- call centers
- cerge remonde
- charrice pempengco
- cory aquino
- fr. joaquin bernas sj
- gears buying guide
- gloria macapagal arroyo
- huey sepulveda
- in the philippines
- just crazy
- kris aquino
- life in the philippines
- Love Letters To Happiness
- maguindanao massacre
- manny pacquiao
- manny pangilinan
- marketing & advertising
- marketing & advertising around the world
- marketing successes
- martial law
- mindscape landmark
- miriam defensor santiago
- morong 43
- music & poetry
- need help
- nokia C3 product defect
- noynoy aquino
- Of Interest
- Philippine 2010 Presidentiables
- Philippine Advertising
- Philippine Marketing
- philippine media
- philippine politics
- philippine stock market
- philippine tv
- philippine universities
- Pinoy Power
- reproductive health bill
- rh bill 5043
- steve jobs
- stupid things at call centers
- swine flu outbreak
- toyota philippines
- US presidential election
- wawam photo
- wawam photos
- wawam weekends
- WAWAM! What A Waste Of Advertising Money
- wawam.wordpress in media
- willie revillame
- Amiel’s Footprints
- computers, camera & electronics buying quide
- Cory Aquino
- feedback – WAWAM! after hours
- New AGS Traffic Scheme
- Pinoy Power
- traffic scheme AGS ignored
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- December 2012
- November 2012
- October 2012
- September 2012
- August 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- May 2012
- April 2012
- March 2012
- February 2012
- January 2012
- December 2011
- November 2011
- October 2011
- September 2011
- August 2011
- July 2011
- May 2011
- April 2011
- March 2011
- February 2011
- January 2011
- December 2010
- November 2010
- October 2010
- September 2010
- August 2010
- July 2010
- June 2010
- May 2010
- April 2010
- March 2010
- February 2010
- January 2010
- December 2009
- November 2009
- October 2009
- September 2009
- August 2009
- July 2009
- June 2009
- May 2009
- April 2009
- March 2009
- February 2009
- January 2009
- December 2008
- November 2008
- October 2008
- September 2008
- August 2008
- July 2008
- June 2008
- January 2000
Most Recent Posts By Authors In This Blog
- wawamTECH: steve ballmer announces major strategic shift for microsoft’s business model – software, hardware, integration & the cloud
- nokia trips on day 3 of the Lumia 900 US launch – windows phone software bug triggers a 100% refund
- why in the world nokia chose the wrong date to launch Lumia 900 in the US – on a day when AT&T and Microsoft stores are closed!