no drop in tv rating while willie revillame out of wowowee – revillame is insignificant
the tv show wowowee is a product of the business called abs-cbn, it yields for them revenues and profits and from the advertising loads that it has, the revenues and profits are huge.
wowowee is still airing but willie revillame has been out of the tv show for a week now. but the firestorm, loathing and protest by many has not stopped and in fact has grown in real life and in the internet world. at facebook, the Anti-Revillame Movement has now 11,956 members ( http://www.facebook.com/pages/Yellow-Ribbon-for-President-Cory-Aquino/100738003363#/group.php?gid=126156564264&ref=nf) while the online Petition To Oust Willie Revillame as of this writing has 57.771 signatures ( http://www.petitiononline.com/mod_perl/signed.cgi?badwilly). both continue to grow.
there is a nagging question that abs-cbn needs to answer, it is a business question – what is the business impact of removing willie revillame from wowowee? in answering that question, abs-cbn need to look at the tv rating of the program. tv ratings is THE key magnet for ad placements in any tv show. advertisers will place their ads in shows with high ratings. higher ratings mean larger number of the audience watching the show and the higher the ratings lower cost per thousand audience.
for me, i do not think removing revillame is really a problem. revillame as a tv host does not bring any unique talent or skill to the show. he sounds and looks like any other tv host. he does not have any strong singing or dancing talent as added bonus. all he has is really just emceeing.
we think what makes the show work or get a large audience is the show’s format and concept and not the host. put any host to the same concept and it will continue to get the audience.
but business needs to look at it with numbers, not conjecture. we have the numbers here.
we got the tv ratings from this blog, http://forums.mukamo.com/ from AGB Nielsen Philippines, the ad industry’s ratings company. admittedly the data points are few but we think it’s a good enough gauge for abs-cbn to base its decision on.
for 5 data points covering the period when revillame was still appearing in the show, wowowee had an average rating of 17.1%.
for 6 data points covering the period when revillame was no longer hosting the show, wowowee had an average rating of 16.2%.
a drop of only 0.9 rating points is not significant. drops of that magnitude happen often, due to normal day to day fluctuations.
from these numbers, the conclusion is —- the audience did not miss revillame at all, the audience continued to watch wowowee even though revillame was no longer hosting the show. not only that, revillame’s co-hosts in the show who took over the hosting role have done very well.
this means from a purely business standpoint, abs-cbn is not risking anything if it removes revillame from wowowee. but what abs-cbn will gain is goodwill from its audience where the large number of those calling for the removal of revillame from the show will now feel heard and contained.
removing revillame will win goodwill from its audience and risk no loss of business.
read other posts on willie revillame and wowowee:
- no drop in tv rating while willie revillame out of wowowee – revillame is insignificant
- willie revillame and wowowee and what is wrong with philippine television
- willie revillame may leave tv show. internet citizens making a difference!
- Reasons why Willie Revillame must be banned from Television
- willie revillame apologizes for the wrong reason; takes a 3-week leave from wowowee
- Which is worth of respect? Which is rude?
- Letter of Complaint to ABS-CBN Against Mr. Willie Revillame
- Letter of Complaint to ABS-CBN against Mr. Willie Revillame
- willie revillame desecrates the memory of tita cory and finds the funeral a nuisance to his performance – also watch video here
- willie revillame gives the BS during MTRCB hearing – it was just a “suggestion”
- Anti-Willie Revillame Movement at facebook gains traction, now 10T members
- ABS-CBN backs Willie Revillame; says Wowowee host did not disrespect the memory of cory aquino