proposed media guidelines during hostage taking and terrorist attacks
we thing this should be the guidelines that should be imposed during hostage taking and terrorist attacks:
- the police or security forces have full control and authority of the whole situation, the area, media coverage and all other components relating to the event.
- this control, power and responsibility fully and exclusively rests on the field commander designated by the security establishment. all actions and decisions will be made by the commander and are final.
- a media point person will be designated by the security forces who will ensure compliance by media.
- media will occupy a specific area designated by the security force. media will not go out of this area. this area will ensure safety for media personnel, ensure security forces movements and actions are not compromised but allows media to take usable audio and video footages.
- at no point during the event will media establish any form of communication with the hostage taker, relatives and friends of the hostage taker, the negotiator, field commander and all other security forces in the area.
- media may not broadcast live the actions, positions and movements of all security forces in the area and those being sent to the area. this will include audio, video, descriptions, text, mobile, through telephone landlines and the internet.
- media may record the above but not use them for any live broadcast. they may choose to air these after the situation has been resolved.
- the field commander may ask for a news blackout which media will comply immediately.
- after the event has been resolved, media may interview the hostage taker, relatives and friends of the hostage taker and security personnel, security forces and medical personnel but can only do so after a debriefing has been done by the security forces and given clearance for media interview.