Mayor Duterte The Barbarian needs to be removed from office, disbarred and jailed
it is very clear in this video, Mayor Sara Duterte of Davao strides into the area, calls for the sheriff to approach her then without warning holds him by the collar of his shirt with her left hand, then hits the man in his face with her right fist repeatedly. the man retreats, men restrain the mayor but she pursues him, still flailing with her fist on the target.
the mayor went to the area as the sheriff with the police was in the process of demolishing the homes of squatters. the sheriff was executing the decision of a lower court. scuffles, stone throwing by the squatters and the police had ensued and the tension with the police was going into a boil.
- there is no acceptable reason for the mayor’s action. she clearly attacked the sheriff without any provocation with intent to harm
- the sheriff is an officer of the court who was doing his job, acting on a court order
- if the mayor wanted to delay the demolition of the homes, the way to do this is to get a court order, not to beat up the sheriff. the mayor is a lawyer, she ought to know that that is the process that needs to be followed
- as an elected government official, it is the duty of the mayor to uphold the law and in fact follow court orders, not disobey them and commit a crime herself
- we think the mayor should be punished according to law
- being a mayor and under the DILG, we think she should be removed from office for this show of disrespect of the court and for assaulting the sheriff
- being a lawyer and supposedly knowing procedures and the law, she needs to be disbarred from law practice for wantonly harming an officer of the court. this is definitely an action unbecoming of a member of the law profession.
- for assaulting the sheriff, she needs to spend time in jail as prescribed by the law
this should not be allowed to pass unnoticed by the national government, the DILG and the judiciary. mayors or any other government official need to understand that they cannot take the law in their own hands, that they are in fact not above the law and that they themselves should obey the law no matter how they feel about it and even if it goes against their own beliefs.
the mayor, coming from one of the most powerful political clans in davao need to be taught the lesson that she cannot act with impunity, behaving as if davao is her personal fiefdom and the absolute ruler of the city. allowing this to pass will embolden not only duterte herself but all other mayors in thinking they can do whatever they please in their towns even if it is illegal.
davao is a city known for its political killings and summary executions, this not only reinforces that image, it confirms it. if the leaders of davao behave with such impunity, it is no wonder criminals just go around the city killing whoever they please.